Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

wardrobe essentials 2018 - t-shirt bonanza








I have been quietly sewing my summer t-shirts. I didn't feel like writing about each and every one but I thought a mid season round-up would be ok.

I have tried a new pattern, the Fairelith t-shirt by Blank Slate patterns. It is a simple raglan top with a deep cut back and scoop neckline. I love a scoop neckline very much but rarely wear a deep cut back because I am self conscious about the acne scars on my upper back. This year though I decided it really didn't matter. I can't see them myself and I no longer care if others might notice. Chances are it is one of my loving teenagers that would be the ones making a hurtful comment. They find me pretty gross, which I am fairly certain is not an unusual teenage sentiment. I used to shudder at the thought of my mum's big knickers on the line when I was their age and I am sure they are no different. Sorry mum :-) I take perverse pleasure in asking Sam and Annie to hang up the laundry, unmentionables and all.

Back to sewing  The Fairelith can be made as a fitted top or a swing top, either with short or long sleeves. I chose the swing top with short sleeves. To be honest, I could probably have altered the Rivage raglan t-shirt that I often use but I am lazy and I like to support Indie pattern designers whenever I can.

My first Fairelith is grey with a white neckline. It is a strange shade of not quite grey, depending on the light, there seems to be a hint of mauve. I've had this knit fabric in my fabric box for ages, I bought it for £2.90/metre in the sale. I didn't exactly love it but I didn't hate it either - perfect for a trial version of a new pattern. The swing top is a bit of a fabric eater and I didn't have enough for a neckband, which is unusually long. I am actually glad about this because the white neckband adds interest. I really like the result.The fit is reasonable with room for improvement, there is slight bunching in the underarm area. It didn't bother me enough to faff with the pattern and I made a second version with another sale bargain, a narrow stripe dark orange/white viscose jersey. I bought it from Minervacrats for £2.99/metre. I had two metres of this fabric, because it was such a bargain. There was plenty for a swing top and matching neckband. I cut this across the grain to add a little interest. The pattern actually asks for the neckband to be cut on the bias but I avoid because it is not very economical. I have enough fabric left for a kids t-shirt. I am now also confessing that I went and bought another 3 metres of this fabric, for next year, and the year after. I won't get bored with it, I know I won't.



Next I made my annual knit fabric Sailor top by Fancy Tiger Crafts. It is a pattern for woven fabric but I found it works equally well with knit fabric. I make one a year, usually to ring in the t-shirt making season. I had completely forgotten but thankfully, my pal Jo of Three Stories High reminded me when she recently wrote about her Sailor top. I immediately needed to make one, too. Jo used an unusual fabric for her first one, go and have a look, it is fabulous. My strategy to buy one metre of jersey as a rule backfired because I couldn't find a jersey piece big enough, until I remembered the teal viscose jersey I bought in Copenhagen. It seemed slightly longer than one metre, which was just enough for the facing pieces. I spent ages with the pattern layout, I struggled a bit with fitting all pieces in. I cut this one single layer to make best use of the fabric I had. There is virtually none left, just a few scraps which I used to check overlocker tension etc. I am so glad I made this t-shirt, I love colour, style and also the texture of the fabric. I hope I get a chance to visit another Danish fabric shop in summer.

The photo by the way shows me in full teaching mode, headset and all. I was only recording, no students. When I meet students online I sit in a less cluttered space and make sure there is no embarrassing sight on screen, other than myself of course. I seem to have a mild sunburn. I didn't notice until just now.

I want to make another Sailor top now, even though I don't actually enjoy sewing it. The gathered neckline is a bit of a faff to get even with knit fabric. It is not a top made in one hour but I think the extra time is worth it. I'll keep you in the loop.

Meanwhile, I am barely able to walk. I am still waiting for my X-ray results. It is frustrating and I am not surprised people go to A&E rather than to their primary health care provider with problems such as intense foot pain. Definitely worth the four hour wait if the outcome is a same day result and appropriate treatment. I shall pour myself a large gin and tonic and see if I can find a bag of crisps.

Have a lovely weekend. xx


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar